Saturday, May 16, 2009

In touch with myself

My decision to step off the daily treadmill for three weeks was met with amusement, amazement, envy and disbelief in varying degrees. The first question “what do you plan to do” was inevitably followed by “So where are you off to”. Lack of any sort of plan on my part seemed to be quite weird.

I have spent the last 10 odd days doing nothing and frankly loved every minute of it.
Well, it won’t be right to say “nothing”.

Actually this is possibly the first time in many years that I have not been led by a to do list. I have woken up fresh; with no specific agenda running in my head. Also have stopped wearing a wristwatch since the last two days or was it three…..

I have caught up on music like never before. Marathi mainly. Listened to some truly wonderful songs both in terms of lyrics as well as music. Also caught up on some poetry; Marathi again. Spent a lot of time with Avanti and watched the future of the country unfold.

I have thought about what I intend to do in the future.

I have caught up with friends and family; got a lot of paperwork sorted out, got some appliances serviced and broke some (vicious cycle really)…..

I have started reading up a bit. Started off on “Churchill”, a bit of Indian history and “Jawaharlal Nehru”- biography by Frank Moraes.

Most of all, I have got back in touch with the voice in my head. I have realized that too many things had cluttered up my mind; so jettisoned many unwanted thoughts. I have walked like crazy, and also realized the need to move up the fitness ladder. One cannot translate dreams into reality without a fit body. The need to go beyond my own comfort zone is now assuming great importance. There is a world beyond Mumbai and Goa, (please do read “Everybody loves a good drought”) which is in need of able hands and stout hearts. I hope to find some cause to get this into action.

One of the best poems ever- Suresh Bhat:

जगत मी आलो असा की, मी जसा जगलोच नाही!
एकदा तुटलो असा की, मग पुन्हा जुळलोच नाही!

जन्मभर अश्रूंस माझ्या शिकविले नाना बहाणे;
सोंग पण फसव्या जिण्याचे शेवटी शिकलोच नाही!

कैकदा कैफात मझ्या मी विजांचे घोट प्यालो;
पण प्रकाशाला तरीही हाय, मी पटलोच नाही!

सारखे माझ्या स्मितांचे हुंदके सांभाळले मी;
एकदा हसलो जरासा, मग पुन्हा हसलोच नाही!

स्मरतही नाहीत मजला चेहरे माझ्या व्यथांचे;
एवढे स्मरते मला की, मी मला स्मरलोच नाही!

वाटले मज गुणगुणावे, ओठ पण झाले तिऱ्हाइत;
सुचत गेली रोज गीते; मी मला सुचलोच नाही!

संपल्यावर खेळ माझ्या आंधळ्या कोशिंबिरीचा....
लोक मज दिसले अचानक; मी कुठे दिसलोच नाही!

1 comment:

  1. That's so wonderful Maruti. Most people run through the rat race all their lives, seduce stress and eventually succumb to it in whatever guise. I'm not saying everyone should stop working. The opposite. Only do the things that clear that clutter in your head...because with clarity comes understanding, with understanding purpose and with purpose true accomplishment. Beyond one's ego or attachments but something done with a love that like you said goes beyond our bubble or comfort zone. :) I wish you all the best. When you think with unselfish love, your soul speaks. And I'm waiting to hear what your already wonderful soul has to say. :)
    Lots of love and peace to all of you

    ReplyDelete